Wednesday, May 7, 2008

How Does Our Garden Grow?

The best part of our house? Hands down - the garden. We moved here in February 2006, and there was nothing in it except for dead-looking roots, stumps, and a weary blue spruce in the corner. I was prepared to implement a scorched earth policy and burn the whole thing down and start over. Thanks to my friend Anne, and Alexandria City (who forbids you from burning your backyard down) I found out that the garden was just "sleeping" - that nestled just below the ground were hibernating flowers. From March - September, something blooms every week, whether it's daffodils, lilacs, irises, azaleas roses, peonies, hydrangeas, black-eyed susans, rosemary, lemonbalm, etc. I was inspired by the butterfly farm Chris & I went to in St. Martin, so I'm starting my own butterfly garden with butterfly bush and milkweek. Additionally, our resident mourning dove, Maisie, has come back to have her babies in our hanging basket beneath the rose trellis. She recently gave birth to Johnny and June and they're just learning how to fly.

My neighbor Paul once told me that his garden is his therapy. I totally agree with him, although, as a therapist, I may lose money with that attitude. Maybe in my second career I'll own a greenhouse/butterfly farm....:)

No comments: