Thursday, January 17, 2008

Kate's First Hospital Visit

The day started off like any other - breakfast, chased Kate around the room to get her ready for school, etc. I noticed during our cardio workout that she had something around her finger - one of those wooden magnetic refrigerator letters. After putting lotion on her finger, the letter still wasn't going anywhere, so I drove her to school thinking that maybe they would have a solution. After about 15 minutes of tugging and pulling, screaming and crying, Kate's finger was twice its size, so Nedra and Patty told me to take her to the hospital. We went to the hospital emergency room, where about 3-4 MDs and RNs tried to get the stupid letter off Kate's finger and they finally ended up cutting it off with some plier-like instrument. Xrays indicated that nothing was broken, so that's cool. Poor Kate - I think she was both scared, sore and relieved that it was over. During the whole thing, I managed to keep it together by singing many verses of "Wheels on the Bus." As we were leaving, I saw my associate pastor, Casey, in the lobby. She told me that Nedra had said we were there and thought we'd like some company. Her being there really convinced me of angels existing in human form on this earth. Thanks so much Casey!

As for Kate, she now won't let me take her hospital bracelet off. At least this will be something scissors can handle...

3 comments:

Kristin Mulrooney said...

What a day! Way to go Kate and mom for getting through it.

Rain in My Head said...

Yikes! So glad to hear it ended well!!

EFN Newsletter said...

When you first told me this story I was imagining them coming at her with a electric saw and her screaming bloody murder. Glad to hear about the pliers :)