Saturday, April 5, 2008

The Return of Ugly Naked Guy

It's been three days since we've returned from our holiday in St. Martin, and thankfully, I'm still relaxed. In fact, I'm probably TOO relaxed. Case in point - there are still dirty clothes lying on our bedroom floor begging to be washed, but somehow I found time to make a trip to the liqour store to get ingredients for our favorite new drink we discovered on the beach in SXM - the BBC (Baily's Caramel, Banana, Coconut + a splash of rum). I rarely drink anymore since grad. school, but this was fantastic.

As far as the title of this blog goes, here's the story: Chris & I were lounging at Friar's Beach, SXM, sipping our BBCs, and noticed a catamaran off-shore with a lot of semi-elderly people on board. The boat was one of those owned by companies that take people out on day cruises, and offer them lunch on the beach. I was watching the people on the boat and noticed that one of the men looked naked from the backside. I told Chris - "hey, I think the sun is affecting my eyes or something, but is that guy on the boat naked?" Before Chris could answer, Methuselah turns around and yes, it was full monty day on the old boat. I was thinking that these people can't be Americans - way too uninhibited. Then, a boatload came to shore for lunch - including Ugly Naked Guy (who was dressed by now) and a very burned, white-haired 70ish women in a thong. They blew their international image once they opened their mouths - they were indeed Americans. Oh well, it's not as if we had a stellar reputation abroad anyways.

Anyway, if you're going to SXM and Anguilla, here are some recommendations:

1) Favorite thing we did - hands down - daytrip to Anguilla. We took the ferry over, which runs every 1/2 hour out of the port of Marigot. We ended up at Cap Jaluca, a great resort, had lunch at George's on the beach, and had massages. Check out the website at: http://www.capjuluca.com/

2) It's a fine day to drive a Hyundai. If we weren't hanging out in Grand Case, we drove everywhere in the smallest car I've ever been in - a Hyundai Getz. There's no way an SUV can get through the streets, so this came in handy.

3) The Hotel Esplanade, where we stayed, was wonderful. We managed to get a one-bedroom suite that we hated to leave. Check out the hotel at http://www.lesplanade.com/web/index.php.

Now, back to the real world......ugh......where's my BBC?

5 comments:

Kristin Mulrooney said...

I am glad you guys had such a wonderful time, but we missed you!

Shane said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Aunt Donna & Uncle Bob said...

Hi Beth, Chris & Kate,

Loved the review of your trip!
The naked guy story was a riot!
The e-mail pictures of Kate with her cousins are precious!
I googled the web sites from your trip - felt like I was enjoying your trip too - so beautiful!

Love you,
Aunt Donna

Rain in My Head said...

Oh wow! What a vacation!! Can't wait to see pics -- well except for ugly naked guy :) -- no need to see pics 'o that.