Saturday, March 1, 2008

All Clean!

Finally had my yearly mammogram yesterday and everything appears to be all clean - no black marks on the screen. I hate those appointments - the whole week is tense up until the time you get the results. Chris was a big help though - very reassuring. If you haven't had a mammogram yet, imagine wedging your breast between the tire of your car and the pavement, then having someone drive over it. Thanks to Jackie for taking care of Kate while I had my appointment. Jackie told me that while I was gone, Kate told her that "Mama has gone to the doctor to have her sick boobies checked out."

Cancer can do strange things to your life outlook - you may have had it completley erradicated from your body, but the memory of ever having it never goes away. It's always there in the back of your mind and makes even the smallest things seem precious. Today marks my 4th year being cancer-free - I had surgery on March 1, 2004. Next year, my five-year mark, there will be a big celebration - so mark your calendars!

4 comments:

Kristin Mulrooney said...

We are rejoicing in this spectacular news! I know how stressful the wait can be, I am glad it is past. Each year we move further from Jamie diagnoses brings relief, but as you said, the marks left by the experience do not. Know that Jamie and I will be at your party, and we are looking forward to celebrating his 5 years this summer!!

Rain in My Head said...

Congratulations! We are so happy for you and yet another year with a clean bill of health. lots of love!

Cathy said...

What wonderful news! I think you are a true inspiration with the way you deal with this- it's a part of your life, and you have to deal with it, but you haven't let it take over your life like I've seen happen to other people. You go, girl!

EFN Newsletter said...

Beth, I can't tell you how happy I am for you and Chris. Congratulations.